Likewise, the batch jobs could create a data area when they start, clear it when they finish. The interactive CL program could check the batch job's data areas; if not empty, the interactive wouldn't start.

Naturally, you'd need to program some fail-safe logic (like what to do when the data areas are created, but the programs abend without clearing the data areas).

Tom