rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   4. Re: SETOBJACC and file performance (Tony Carolla)
>
>Hmmm... That sounds promising.  I wonder if the system makes a
>judgement as to how much of the object to load.  Example, I have a
>13.7Million record 1.4GB file, and I obviously wouldn't want to tie up
>1.4GB of memory, but would the system manage placing only reasonable
>portions thereof, based on the pool size?

Tony:

"...would the system manage placing only reasonable portions thereof"

Sounds very close to a piece of an IBM performance manual or redbook that I
read that was discussing 'expert cache' back around V3R6/V3R7. Since I'm not
totally clear on what your meaning is and I'm not the expert anyway, that might
have little to do with your question. But, my understanding of SETOBJACC is
something like this (high-level, simplified):

You tell the system what pool to load the object into. If the pool isn't big
enough, only as many pages as will fit are brought in. The system 'manages' the
'reasonable portion' from then on just as it manages portions of objects
anywhere else in memory -- if pages are needed that aren't already in memory no
matter what pool they might be in, they're brought in as needed. (I have no
idea what pool they might be brought in to if parts are scattered; I suspect
job pool gets first crack at it.) Such pages replace pages that haven't been
used recently. If other objects are also in this pool, pages from those objects
might replace pages of this object.

Ideally, this would be used with a private pool. The pool would be assigned to
a subsystem and cleared via CLRPOOL to make sure everything in it is flushed
out. Once cleared, SETOBJACC brings the requested object into the pool. As long
as the pool is private and the object fits in the pool, access will be from
memory from then on. If multiple objects are in the pool and they all fit, then
they all stay in for the duration, i.e., until SETOBJACC POOL(*PURGE). Objects
can be *PGMs or *FILEs.

If pools are already set up and used reasonably, I'm not sure that SETOBJACC
for a 1.4GB file is likely to buy you much. If large sequences of physical
records aren't accessed much, then those pages will just be taking up space
with no usage. If all blocks of the file are relatively equal in access and
access to the blocks happens numerous times, then _maybe_ there will be
improvement; but I'd guess that you better have a lot of spare memory first.

Now, if this is a 500-record, 200K file that's used all over the system,
programs accessing it over and over again all day long, then carving out
dedicated space for it could make a decent difference. At least it wouldn't be
in contention for space in a shared pool.

I haven't used SETOBJACC since OS/400 V3R2 where I had a major set of issues to
overcome for a particular group of applications in a structured day/night
environment. It was pretty useful then. But nowadays -- OS/400 V5, large memory
spaces, etc. -- I'm way behind in practical knowledge.

Hopefully, there will be useful corrections or enhancements to the thread. I
wouldn't mind updating what I understand.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.