Why?

1) Because IBM U.S.A. has virtually no RPG programmers who would know how to
create a prototype. They have some, but apparently not enough to assign
somebody to actually do the work.

2) IBM Canada has RPG programmer knowledge but doesn't know the API set very
well.

3) Nobody predicted that RPG people would really be using the C runtime
library.

Look at the data structures for the APIs that IBM already ships today. They
are horrible! From/TO columns, "B" data types, etc. Most of been converted
from C or PL/MI listings to RPG "Input" specs and then translated by
CVTRPGSRC to RPG IV's "Definition" specs.

IBM is interested in _selling_  "solutions" (nothing wrong with that)
whereas most other platforms are interested in that as well as having 3rd
party developers and end-user customers write code for their platforms so
that more people buy them.
In the product I offer and have mentioned here several times, I include many
RPG IV source for prototypes for OS/400 and C APIs.
As a result of this note, I have decided to add a section to my rpgiv.com
website that will contain nothing but prototypes for OS/400 APIs or C
runtime functions. I will try to have it up by Monday with some prototypes
includes. I will post the ones I have in RPG xTools and others may post
their own so that we can make it a collaborative effort. Of course, in this
market space, collaborative efforts typically don't pay off too well.

-Bob