If your target C API is exported from a *SRVPGM then you may find that the
system provides to you a form of the 'ILE xxx wrapper program'.   There is
the Call Service Program Procedure (QZRUCLSP) API which provides an unbound
call interface (like what you get with OPM RPG) to a procedure where you
define the number of parameters to pass, if they are passed by value or
reference,  if there is a return value, if errno is to be returned, etc.

This API can be found in the Information Center under Programming/APIs/APIs
by category/Program and CL command.

While this API might be able to help you in your current situation, moving
to ILE would still be best.

             jared
             <jhunter@xxxxxxxx
             .edu>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  RPG programming on the AS400 /
             rpg400-l-bounces@         iSeries <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             09/15/2004 08:18          RE: calling C from OPM RPG
             AM

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries

Thanks to all for the help, both technical and political.  The 'by value'
versus 'by reference' issue makes the 'a' link a lot clearer, and it's
good to hear support for pushing ILE in general.

/j

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Haas, Matt wrote:

> [snip]
> > The one thing that OPM programs can do is call other programs -- both
ILE
> > and OPM programs can be called.  Therefore, it's possible to write an
> > interface that you could call from an OPM application.
>
> is this an accurate picture of what you're suggesting below?
>
> OPM RPG <-a-> ILE C wrapper program <-b-> ILE C API
> <snip>
>
> You could also do OPM RPG <-a-> ILE RPG wrapper program <-b-> ILE C API.
>
> In order to save my self the headache of converting JDEish programs to
ILE or dealing with Net.Data, I've also done this sort of thing to call a
procedure in various service programs.