>Why do you suppose AS/400 passwords are stored encrypted, yet
> passed across the network (TN5250 w/o SSL) unencrypted?
It is a telnet standard to do that (not an AS400 spec), and TN5250 is
telnet. But if you set
OS400 system value qrmtsign to *verify, and Client Access to Bypass Signon
then telnet signon no longer appears (and pwd is not passed in the clear).
The CA communication signon is encrypted (but not 3des).
jim