I have said it before and I will say it again,
I am interested in anything Scott has to say.
Scott is a MASTER coder. If I want 'Subtle sarcasm' I will
listen to comedians.  BTW.

I notice the W2000 PCs have no problems rendering all sorts
of characters, Chinese Japanese Arabic to name a few, and there
is never any issue with SortId CCSID etc etc and other arcane
rubbish. I am presently supporting BPCS in a Simplified Chinese
environment so I know a little about this stuff.
The basic problem as I see it is how characters are represented.
8 bits for this and double byte(16 bits) for that with special
characters for French or Danish or Russian. This is ALL old
legacy S***. We are tied into ancient methodologies when a bit
and a byte were as precious as gold. We need to move with
the times into the Internet age.  Java already stores data
in UCS2 (16 bit) format. I hate UTF8 so I hope it gets
consigned to the devils waste basket.
Is UCS2 enough, I am not sure but Bill has got onto something
with W2000.
IMO we should consign CCSIDs with UTF8 and make the AS400 a
pure UCS2 database, so we double the disk storage, so what
disk is cheap.

Frank Kolmann