So your usage is kind of like that of libraries?  You segregate accounting
from ERP, etc. in libraries so you segregate by application function for
binding directories?  If so, I can understand and accept that.  Based on
what had been discussed I thought you and Buck were advocating a single
binding directory for all of the "usable" service programs (regardless of
function) vs. separate binding directories for "temporary junk" that are
used as modules are being developed.

Could it be that you create service programs of modules that are
application specific (accounting, ERP, etc.) and have separate binding
directories by that application because there is no logical application
overlap?

Don't worry, I'll get it one of these days.  :)

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Joel Cochran

                      <jrc@xxxxxxxxxx>          To:       RPG programming on
the AS400 / iSeries
                      Sent by:
<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>@SMTP@CTB
                      rpg400-l-bounces@m        cc:       (bcc: David A
Parnin/Topeka/NISCO/SPCO)
                      idrange.com               Subject:  Re: Service Programs
101 / Binding Directories

                      07/23/2004 09:21

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      RPG programming on

                      the AS400 /

                      iSeries

                      <rpg400-l@midrange

                      .com>

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 17:01, daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Dave,
> Is the application binding directory so that the application program can
> find a service program and the development binding directory is so that
the
> compiler can find the modules to be combined into a bound program or
> service program?

I have several applications here in house.  I have some procedures I
want available to all RPG programs (generic procedures found at
RPGNext.com).  These go in one "global" binding directory.  Then I have
procedures that are specific to each application.  Let's say I have a
procedure in the accounting app for calculating recievables pending by
account number.  Why would I need or want that in a scheduling
application?  This way, I only refer to the binding directories that are
specific to the app they are in: basically, it's an organizational
approach.

Joel
http://www.rpgnext.com