Well, lets see.  You have a 5 dim character array of 14a.  You are
attempting to pass 1 element of the 14a to a procedure that receives a
string that is defined like a procudure (machine address) and you tack
on a Option(*Varsize) just to confuse things even more.  You need to
decide if you are passing a pointer or a character string.  If you
define String in the procedure as 14A it should compile.

Marvin

date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:53:43 -0700
from: "Tim Kredlo" <TKredlo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Need help

I must be brain dead, but I cannot figure out why this (PtRtrv) won't
compile.

In calling program PtRtrv I have:
=======================
/Copy ExPrdPgm/QRpgSrc,ProtSp

D Subr            S             14A   Dim(5)
D                                     Inz
D SubrIdx         S              3U 0 Inz

542   For SubrIdx = 1 to 5 by 1;
543      Subr(SubrIdx) = Low2Up(Subr(SubrIdx));               006200
544   EndFor;

In source ProtSp I have:
=================
D Low2Up          Pr          1000A   Varying
D String                              Like(Low2Up)
D                                     Options(*Varsize)

Module Low2Up is:
==============
H Nomain
 /Copy ExPrdPgm/QRpgSrc,ProtSp
  (Note that this is the same '/Copy' as in PtRtrv)

P Low2Up          B                   Export
D Low2Up          Pi          1000A   Varying
D  String                             Like(Low2Up)
D                                     Options(*Varsize)
D  Upper          C                   'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'
D  Lower          C                   'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
  /Free
   String = %XLate(Lower:Upper:String);
   Return String;
  /End-Free
 P Low2Up          E

Low2Up compiles (CrtRpgMod) with no errors.

PtRtrv compile errors out with:
*RNF7535 30    543 006200  The type and attributes of parameter 1 do not
match those of the prototype.