So, basically you want to write a web service.

I am wondering why you would re-invent the web server wheel, when the
provided web server is stable, not resource intensive, and easy to
use.  Security is handled, as is error handling and non-standard
request processing.

I can see having a socket program sit on a random port and do
non-standard communication.  But if you are going to use a standard
communication protocol, why write your own interface?   Use the web
server, and have your CGI program write the data back in whatever
format (XML?) you want.