The book "RPG IV Jump Start" by Bryan Meyers is designed to quickly get
you going on RPG IV from RPG III.  I used this book to help my people make
the jump back in 1996 (Though, that was the first edition, and the
following link is for the fourth edition)

http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/store/books/Uniquebook2.cfm?NextBook=195

Back when I made the jump, there wasn't that much that was different
between RPG III and RPG IV.  There were D-specs, the columns were a little
different, you could use longer variable names, but that was about it.
That's not true anymore!

Like others have suggested, I recommend taking it one step at a time.  Try
converting your programs with CVTRPGSRC.  That'll give you V3R1-level RPG
IV code that's compatible.   Once you've gotten accustomed to that, then
start using EVAL and the other extended factor 2 operations (IF, WHEN,
DOW, DOU, etc) instead of the old fashioned factor1/factor2/result
doohickeys.

Once you're comfortable with that, learn prototypes & subprocedures. Then
free-form...  one step at a time...

The best piece of advice, however:  Don't turn back.  Once you start using
it, force yourself to always use it.   It's too easy to say "I have to get
this done YESTERDAY, so I'll do it in RPG III and move to RPG IV next
time!" and that really hurts your progress...  Do everything in RPG IV,
and don't turn back.  In less than a year, you'll wonder how you ever
survived with RPG III...

---
Scott Klement  http://www.scottklement.com