From: Rooney, Michael P [CI] [mailto:michael.p.rooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 10:37 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Prototyping Java

Bruce,

While it might be easy to prototype your supplied java interface, it
wouldn't provide you the necessary background for integrating your
RPG apps with Java, so....

One of the best places to start is the ILE RPG Programmers Guide.
Chapter 11 of the V5R1 version, entitled "RPG and the eBusiness World",
contains numerous code snippets demonstrating prototyped calls to
java classes.  Additionally, there is an execllent table on page 159
providing a "map" between RPG and Java data types.  As you are
interested
in passing arrays to/from Java, note #4 might be of interest to you,
as will the paragraph that reads "When calling a method, the compiler
will accept arrays as parameters only if the parameter is prototyped
using the DIM keyword". The following thread also provides some valuable
info regarding java arrays & RPG:

http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/200404/threads.html#00020

Also, while chapter 11 does contain considerable information and
insight into calling java from RPG, the presentation and contents can
be extremely confusing for non-java people.  So while I refer you to
this chapter as a starting point, it is just that.  Beyond that, there
are several posts on this forum demonstrating and expanding on some
of the details in chapter 11.  I would recommend scanning the RPG400
list using the keyword JAVA.

Lastly, when you're done pounding the wall with your head, as
integrating
RPG & java can often lead to, you can always post some of your questions
or code here.

Hope this helps....

Michael Rooney
Citigroup International