Hello Jaime,

> Does anybody know how to check if a file, that we just know the first 5
> possitions and the extension exists in a folder of the IFS?
> Something like the access api, but with wild cards?

You can't use the access() API, but you can use the opendir(), readdir(),
closedir() APIs to read through the files in a directory and check to see
if one or more of them matches your pattern.

For example, the following program checks to to see if there's any files
in the /home/klemscot directory that start with the letter 'e' and end
with the letters '.txt'.  If at least one file is found, the "FOUND" field
is set *ON.

     H DFTACTGRP(*NO)

      *
      *  You can get the ifsio_h member from my IFS tutorial
      *  http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/ifs.html
      *
      /copy ifsio_h

     D msg             s             52A
     D dirHandle       s               *
     D name            s            640A   varying
     D found           s              1N   inz(*OFF)

     c                   eval      *inlr = *on

     c                   eval      dirHandle = opendir('/home/klemscot')

     c                   if        dirHandle = *NULL
     c                   eval      msg = 'opendir() failed.'
     c                   dsply                   msg
     c                   return
     c                   endif

     c                   eval      p_dirent = readdir(dirHandle)

     c                   dow       p_dirent <> *NULL

     c                   eval      name = %subst(d_name:1:d_namelen)

     c                   if         %len(name) > 5
     c                              and
     c                              %subst(name: 1: 1) = 'e'
     c                              and
     c                              %subst(name: %len(name)-3: 4) = '.txt'

     c                   eval       found = *ON

     c                   endif

     c                   eval      p_dirent = readdir(dirHandle)
     c                   enddo

     c                   callp     closedir(dirHandle)
     c                   return