Bob Cozzi wrote:

Hans,
 I couldn't agree more, and as you know, I've often said, when asked about
the performance differences between MOVEL and EVAL... "You've already spent
more time thinking about it than you'll ever save in actual CPU time, so
don't worry about it."
But also, I'm in a situation where I have one client who is processing 10s
of millions of records, and sometimes 100s of millions in batch. So every
extra "phempto second" (or how ever you spell that) is important. So if
_MEMCHR is 3 times faster than %SCAN in this context, and I have to send 46
million records through the pipe, I'm going to use _MEMCHR.  But more
importantly, I need to know that _MEMCHR is faster that %scan, and today, I
have to roll my own to do that.
Yes there are still systems out there that are not primarily Internet/Web
based using Interpreted languages, but rather running huge database with
compiled languages, because they need to speed.
-Bob

But what's the point in worrying about whether %SCAN or __memchr is faster considering that the performance of that application is dominated by I/O, which affects the overall performance by a factor of several orders of magnitude? Before looking at the issue of %SCAN versus __memchr, you look at things like pool sizes, blocking factors, persistence, caching frequently accessed data, etc. etc. Right?

I certainly agree that there is a place for compiled languages. At least in the world of batch processing of multi-million record files. In the case of internet apps, though, the big bottleneck is in network latencies, which can easily overwhelm local disk latencies by a couple of orders of magnitude. In that realm, overall, the difference in %SCAN versus __memchr performance has to be way way down around the 0.0001% range.

(As an aside, I don't want to be seen as advocating that gawd-awful interpreted language Perl, but it's been argued that a well written Perl program can often perform just as well as a comparable program written in the compiled language C++. Why? Well, in that well written program coded in Perl, most of the execution time is spent in Perl's run-time library, much of which is written in C and compiled with the highest level of optimization.)

Cheers! Hans