"James R. Newman, CDP" wrote:

> A friend suggested using the DSPLY to show what if anything was in the data
> area.  Turns out the program was getting the data okay.  I moved the field
> from the header area of the report to the detail and it shows up fine.
> Who'd a thunk it?

Are you saying that your program is getting the value of a dtaara named
CUTOFF?

  IDTAARA     UDS
  I                                1    8    CUTOFF

With this definition, the program will use a dtaara named DTAARA.  If it
doesn't find a dtaara named DTAARA, it will create it in QTEMP.  You
might want to do a bit more debugging, to make sure your program is
doing what you think it's doing.

Experiment:
===> CRTDTAARA QTEMP/CUTOF2 TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(8) VALUE('cutof2')
===> DLTDTAARA QTEMP/DTA2
       Probably gives an error that DTA2 doesn't exist
===> CALL PGM   (the pgm below)
       Displays blanks
===> DSPDTAARA QTEMP/DTA2
       Displays 'newval'
===> DSPDTAARA QTEMP/CUTOF2
       Displays 'cutof2'
IDTA2       UDS
I                                        1   8 CUTOF2
C           CUTOF2    DSPLY
C                     MOVEL'newval'  CUTOF2
C                     SETON                     LR