If you didn't change the number of exports, etc, then the signature won't
change.  You can change the logic within one of the subroutines and not
affect the signature.  Signatures are similar to Record Format Level
Checks.  You can change some stuff in files and not affect the RFLC.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

"Frances Denoncourt" <Frances.Denoncourt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces+rob=dekko.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
05/21/2004 11:46 AM
Please respond to

<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Recreate SvcPgm no change QSrvSrc - signature same

I've created a date service program with several procedures and found the
need for a  few more procedures specific to our applications.
Everything was OK until I realized I actually had one program in
production using that service program. Using signatures I figured I was OK
until it dawned on me that while I was working in QSrvSrc (forgetting the
one production program), I decided to clean up the binder source for
P$Dates. What the heck, I was still playing in test.  When the
realiziation that there was a program in production hit, I ran a test on
the development box and sure enough I had a signature violation. OK,
that's fixed.

I'm still adding procedures and cleaning them up a bit after reading and
re-reading stuff here in the archives. We are still at v4r5 and can't use
ALL of the cool stuff, but this is this shop's first shot at service
programs. We are the proud owners of 1.5 ILE apps that use them. The rest
are all converted programs  running in the default act grp. Along with
what I learned at other shops and what I've been getting from this gold
mine, it seems to be coming together. Those activation groups were
freaking me out for a while, but they might be under control now.

Now, the question - if I haven't forgotten where I was.
I made yet another change with P$Date but didn't change the binder source
(*Current to *Prv) because there was no need. Figured, well, I AM still
testing and will be recompiling the new RPGLE pgms that call it. Why
bother? Checked the signatures before and after re-creating the service
program. Hmmph...that current signature didn't change. The previous still
matches the program that needs to go back into producion. I read it four
times to be sure (I'm thinking seriously of giving them my own names,
now). If the signature is generated when the service program is created,
why didn't it create a new signature for *Current?

Fran Denoncourt
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Pinal County Treasurer's Office
Florence, AZ 85232