From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 8:25 AM
To: 'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: Need to know Day of any Date

> From: Bob Cozzi
>
> As a follow up: This code was/is: (C) COPR. 1999 by Robert Cozzi, Jr.

This brings up an interesting point.  Bob, I'm not picking on you,
because I have a bunch of code in cyberspace as well.  But looking at
this particular code, what exactly in it do you consider copyrightable?

Certainly it's not the part that tests the date - that's pretty standard
stuff.  And setting up the difference between the date and 10/14/1582 is
simply part of the API.  Converting the value to 1S0 isn't much either.

I suppose the variable names and the comment are copyrightable.  Would
rewriting the comment header and changing the variable names actually
remove the copyrightable nature of this code?

I guess my question is, what exactly is the IP that is being protected
here?

Joe

--