Background:

I have a RPG program that listens on a socket for wireless CE devices to
connect to.  The wireless network seems unstable in that I get a lot of
entries on my exception set of my select.  I had been interpreting this
as the TCP connection was dropping and I would close it and reinitialize
it.  The problem is that if I miss one of the TCP messages the handheld
will loop indefinitely waiting for it.

Then I read the archives and read that the only thing that sets the
exception set is OOB data, but it was dated in May 2002.  Is this still
the case or would a network failure (somebody kicks the hub cord and
unplugs it...) also cause the exception set to be turned on?  IBM
explains how to check the set, but not what would trigger it.  If there
is OOB data, how can I read it, and what would I do with it if I did (my
handheld application does not send any OOB data).

Lastly, if the socket does disconnect with a message in the TCP buffer,
is there some way for my RPG program to get that message back so that it
can send it again after the socket reconnects?  Would setting linger to
wait for a few seconds help me with this?

Thank in advance for any help,

Andy