Hi,

UPDATE ROB/FELKER
SET
 (case when current month= 1 then SAL01 = :MYVAR
       when current month= 2 then SAL02 = :MYVAR
       when current month= 3 then SAL03 = :MYVAR
  END)

That would work, I would only need one SQL statement. But I was thinking
more along the lines of:
      I know what the month number is
      Use an If to put the field name in :MONTH
      Then SET :MONTH = 0

Typing this in, I realize I still need an IF or SELECT to get the field
name. Your way might be clearer.

<===================================================>

Terri Harteau
Felker Brothers Corporation
****************
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
- Dr. Who
****************

                      rob@xxxxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                   To:      RPG programming on
the AS400 / iSeries
                      rpg400-l-bounces@m         <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      idrange.com                cc:

                                                 Subject: Re: SQL Update using
Variable Field

                      03/04/2004 12:32

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      RPG programming on

                      the AS400 /

                      iSeries

I don't have this worked out yet, but is this kind of what you are
thinking:
UPDATE ROB/FELKER
SET
 (case when current month= 1 then SAL01 = :MYVAR
       when current month= 2 then SAL02 = :MYVAR
       when current month= 3 then SAL03 = :MYVAR
  END)

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

THarteau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
03/04/2004 12:52 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
SQL Update using Variable Field

Hi,
      I can't find anywhere where it says I can't do this, but I'm not
sure
how to achieve it.  I have a file with a sales amount for each month
(SAL01,SAL02...SAL12). I want to use an SQL statement to zero the month in
all records before updating it. So, instead of UPDATE SALES SET SAL01 = 0,
I can replace SAL01 with the field for the appropriate month. Is this kind
of thing possible? I found where you can use variables for the order by
clause, but nothing like this.