   OVRDBF {file} POSITION(*END)

   -irg

   >From: William Washington III <W.WASHINGTON3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   >To: Midrange <MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, rpg400 <RPG400-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
   >Subject: Externally-defined,arrival-sequence file - getting to the last
   record
   >Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:07:19 -0800 (PST)
   >
   >Hi All,
   >
   >How does one get to the last record of an externally-defined,
   arrival-sequence (i.e., no keys) file without reading thru every
   record?  I want to start the program, then immediately hit the
   end-of-file, then wait for a new record to appear.  (I know about
   overriding the file with EOFDLY(nnn) for this to work.)

   >I added the RECNO(rrn) keyword to the file definition, set rrn=*hival and
   tried using

   >CHAIN (rrn) Filename and
   >SETGT (rrn) Filename.
   >
   >I keep getting compile error messages saying "key field list not allowed
   with program described file".

   >I have the file defined as an input, full procedural,
   externally-described disk file with a blank record address type and a
   RECNO keyword. To me, that makes this a file to be processed by relative
   record number.

   >Where am I going wrong?????  Ideas???  (I haven't had to deal with
   relative record number processing outside of subfiles since my S/34 Mapics
   days fresh out of school!)