Rob,

You have to access the array elements by index number, not by value.

D X               S              2S 0
C     '0204'        LOOKUP    ARN(X)                                 99
C                   IF        %FOUND
 * ... X will contain the element number in your array where '0204' was
found
 *     if you alternating table is ARA, ARA(X) is the correstonding total
pieces value.
 * ...do something with your alternating table element X
 *
                    ENDIF

Terry Richardson
Vermont Information Processing, Inc.
terry@xxxxxxxxxx

             simafrog
             <SimaFrog@ziplip.
             Sent by:                  RPG programming on the AS400 /
             rpg400-l-bounces@         iSeries <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             02/18/2004 03:32          Array Index Processing
             PM

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrang
                  e.com>

I built the table referred to earlier, as an alt. array. THe first part has
the year/mo and the second part has the total pieces shipped in this
year/mo. There are 60 elements to this array representing 5 years of
totals.
The index is a bit tricky for me. In order to access say April 2002, the
match would be 0204. I would want to
print for example the array name, let us call it ARN but indexed as in
ARN,0204 causes an out of bounds error.

I am obviously  missing something important but what?
Thanks,
Rob