Hard delete or soft delete?  A hard delete should not have been read at
all.  A soft delete could be handled via one of two ways:  Process a
logical which excludes soft deletes or via program logic.

Hard delete will not show up on DSPPFM
Soft delete will.  An example of a soft delete:
File IIM has several fields.  Among them are
IID
IPROD
IDESC

If IID is equal to 'IM' then it is considered an active record.  If it is
equal to 'IZ' then it has been flagged as inactive, or soft deleted.  Now,
if the software vendor knew what a database was they would have a trigger
on all of their transaction files that would not allow any new records in
the transaction files in which IID was equal to 'IZ'.  Currently they bury
that logic into every transaction program.

IPROD is the primary key, however this software vendor allows duplicates
(unless you only use their maintenance program - they follow the logic
that never do anything in the database that you can do in each program
that touches the file.  Sometimes I am surprised that they even externally
defined their files).

Rob Berendt
--
"All creatures will make merry... under pain of death."
-Ming the Merciless (Flash Gordon)

"Peter Vidal" <Peter_Vidal@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
12/22/2003 03:19 PM
Please respond to

rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Fax to

Subject
Skip deleted records from a file

Hi to all:

I have a very simple problem and after checking the archives (without any
clear
rout to take) I decide to let you know about it.

I have an input / primary file that I am converting into an output file. I
have
this:

C     *Loval        Setll     MyFile1
C                   Dou       *In99
C                   Read      MyFile1                    9999
C   99              Iter
.
.
.
C     FullKey       Chain     MyFile2
C                   If        not %found(MyFile2)
C                   Write     MyFile2R
C                   Endif

C                   Enddo
 * End of program
C                   Eval      *InLR = *On

However, there is one deleted record that is copied as well into the new
file.
How I can skip this record?  I do not want to get rid of this record via
RGZPFM;
I want to be able to handle this situation in the program.

TIA,
Peter Vidal
Pall Aeropower Corp.
SR Programmer Analyst
WWW.Pall.com

"Have a very Merry Christmas and a more blessed new year 2004 and
remember:
JESUS is the reason for the season."
Myself