Tom Daly wrote:

> I have a need to do the following.  From a command
> line enter records one by one to a file.

I love a good trivia question.  I'm not certain if you can do it from the
command line, but if you put this CL into a source member

//BCHJOB ENTDTA
CRTPF      QGPL/DUMMYFILE RCDLEN(128)
CPYF INPUT QGPL/DUMMYFILE MBROPT(*ADD)
file://DATA INPUT
RECORD 1
RECORD 2
file://ENDBCHJOB

and execute it with this command

SBMDBJOB FILE(QTXTSRC) MBR(ENTDTA) JOBQ(QS36EVOKE)

You'll find your file populated.  Since this is the RPG list, in order to do
this in RPG, you need an F spec for a program described file called INPUT,
and corresponding I specs.  The output is determined the same way.  If I had
to use the command line interactively, I'd probably try some QSH trick
(which I'd have to look up because it's just a guess on my part.)  If I may
ask, what business problem are you trying to solve?  Perhaps there's an
altogether different approach that will be more useful to you?
  --buck