>From: Joe Pluta [mailto:joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>Most non-trivial solutions require a non-trivial
>approach, such as a message-based client/server system.

So your non-trivial green-screen application from 1992 was a message-based
client/server system?

>For example, how do you create an order entry system using only stored
>procedures as entry points? ...

Are we discussing architecture or technology? But...

Allocate Connection
Begin Transaction
Create Order Header
        Add Ship To
        Add Ship To
Add Order Line
        Add Order Line Ship To
        Add Order Line Ship To
Add OrderLine
        Add Order Line Ship To
Add OrderLine
        Add Order Line Ship To
Commit Transaction
Deallocate Connection

Simple No? Or, you could simple bundle the entire order into an XML document
and call a stored proc passing the XML doc and let the stored proc do it
all.

Oh, and don't ask me where I'm allocating the inventory, that happens in a
trigger based on the order line table. <G>

>If you don't know what server your back end systems will be running on
three
>years from now, you have a huge problem.  On the opposite side, chances
>are you have no idea what UI devices you'll need to support three years
>from now.

No argument. So if I know I'll be running Windows servers on the back end in
3 years I don't have a problem, right? Of course I have no idea what UI I'll
need, no problem, I'll change the HTML or whatever the UI output is.

>And in the problem set of UI, ASP is far less standard and far more
>restrictive than JSP.

Huh? Currently they both feed HTML devices, no? Aren't we restricted to the
same UI in HTML? Also, if you refer to the fact that you could create XML or
some other ?ML, great, so can ASP.

>Personally, I couldn't care less about standards committees...

Fine by me. I was simply answering your statement that you couldn't justify
spending $1000 on a "non-standard web development platform." You must have a
standard to be non-standard, no?

>Thanks for pointing that out the competitive upgrade, Walden!

No problem. However, I'd argue that even at $1000, if you can't justify
spending $1000 on your $60K developer to write your web app for your $100M
company then you have a problem. (Editorial use of "you", not you personally
Joe)

>So, in your opinion, is VS.NET Professional equivalent and/or better than
WDSC?

Better for what? I wouldn't choose a technology based on the IDE. If you're
going with JSP then VS.NET will suck, and if you're going with ASP.NET WSDC
will suck. My point was simply that MS has a _very_ good IDE should you go
that way.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President