I have a program that is now blowing up.

RNX0100 - Length or start position is out of range for the string
operation.
CPF9999 - Function check. RNX0100 unmonitored by EXCLEIACT at statement
0000001286,
  instruction X'0000'.
RNQ0100 - Length or start position is out of range for the string
operation (C G D
  F).

When I take the D option all I see are the indicator variables:
Internal Indicators:
LR '0'    MR '0'    RT '0'    1P '0'
Error occurred while retrieving variable data.  Dump terminated.

>From the compile:
Compiler options . . . . . . . . :   *XREF      *GEN       *NOSECLVL
*SHOWCPY
                                     *EXPDDS    *EXT       *NOSHOWSKP
*NOSRCSTMT
                                     *DEBUGIO   *EVENTF
Debugging views  . . . . . . . . :   *LIST
1286 C                   dow       ExceptionId=*blanks and
1287 C                             %subst(DataRead:1:DataLen)<>'*SHUTDOWN'

I think I figured out the error on 1286.  The read of the data queue
containing DataRead, DataLen, etc has not occurred.  Why this ever worked
is beyond me.  I am changing that to:
      // changed the following from a dow to a dou because DataLen was
equal to
      // zero and that is a problem.  Seemed to work earlier, but a
recompile
      // and attempt to run it always ended in an RNX0100 message.  Odd.
      // Using the DOU means it will only check it at end of the loop
time.  At
      // that time the field should be initialized.  Well hopefully if it
ever finds
      // an exception id then it doesn't bother to check the rest of the
dou
      // statement.  Because at that point we could have problems.  Hmm,
hows about
      // me initializing DataLen?  You got a problem with that?
     C/free
       DataRead=' ';
       DataLen=1;
      /end-free
     C                   dou       ExceptionId<>*blanks or
     C                             %subst(DataRead:1:DataLen)='*SHUTDOWN'

However, why did the dump abort?

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin