From: Siegrist, Dawn (EM, PTL) [mailto:Dawn.Siegrist@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 4:23 PM
To: RPG400 List (E-mail)
Subject: SQL Cursor closing at wrong time

I am having a problem with an embedded SQL program which calls a procedure
that also has embedded SQL.  In the calling program, I prepare the
statement, declare the cursor, open the cursor and do a fetch statement.  It
then does some processing on the fetched record and calls a procedure that
also does SQL using a cursor (with a different cursor name).  The procedure
closes the cursor prior to the return statement.  In the calling statement,
I then do a fetch to get the next statement and find that the cursor is
closed.  Why is the cursor from the calling program closed?  I tried putting
a WITH HOLD on the DECLARE CURSOR, but that didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dawn Siegrist
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Penske Truck Leasing Co.