That's a concern.  The problem is that many writers of trigger programs
tend to 'ass-u-me' that all executions of the trigger are going to come
from the same 5250 program they were doing maintenance from in the first
place.  Thus they tailor it to interact only in that environment.  Like
certain methods of message handling.  However if you do something generic
like send an escape message then it will be the job of whatever program
that did the update to trap for that.  And this should be able to occur
regardless of your environment:  custom 5250, UPDDTA, odbc, JSP's, etc.

I truly believe that this is what was being addressed in the article you
quote.

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin

Jake Bruster <jakebruster@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
11/17/2003 10:25 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: ALL I/O in single module was(ARGH!!! (was file open with LR))

Rob,

I tend to agree with the idea that data validation
should be implemented in the database itself using
constraints but I found this compelling arguement
against using triggers for data validation. It comes
from an article in iSeries News by Sharon Hoffman
(www.iseriesnetwork.com Article ID 15002).

Although many people use trigger programs for data
validation, there are drawbacks to this approach. When
you use a trigger for data validation, any application
that might launch the trigger must be able to handle
errors generated by the trigger program. This is
contrary to the essential philosophy of triggers,
which assumes that a trigger may be launched from any
application and that the application writer may not
even be aware that a trigger is associated with a
particular database event.

Regards,
Jake

=== message truncated ===