Booth Martin wrote:
But, can you rename it from something different TO be the same as the file
name? (That is how I read Bob C.s message)

No. Names must be unique in an RPG program. File names, record names, variable names, subroutine names, prototype names, tag names, etc. in the same scope share the same name space, and so must all have unique names. That's been true ever since RPG III (which only had one scope - global).

Allowing record names to be the same as file names would require a major rewrite to the handling of files and records in the compiler, with implications throughout the code, as well as the rules of the language.

I'm not saying it can't be done. It's just that it involves one heck of a lot of code change in the compiler, and the only advantage to the RPG programmer is that she can avoid one RENAME on the F-Spec.

Cheers! Hans