Hans (and Buck),

Thanks for the help!

but.....

Since I changed to 'LikeRec' it seems I can no longer overlay the data
structure with the array.
(This part worked fine when I used 'ExtName'.)

Code:
D SoRecP          DS    LikeRec(OPENSORP:*Input)
D  SoArry                       Overlay(SoRecP:1)
D                               Dim(128)
D                               Like(A1)

Compile errors:
        D  SoArry                             Overlay(SoRecP:1)
*RNF3703 20 a      008300  The subfield or parameter definition is not
specified within a group.
*RNF3601 20 b      008300  Keyword is not allowed for a field
definition; keyword ignored.

It seems the compiler thinks that SoRecP is now a field rather than a
data structure.

I'm confused!

?????

TIA