Joe,

I really don't want to start a war here, but I fail to see your reasoning on a
couple of major points.

>Hans, thanks, but I really don't need you to clarify my programming.  I have
>written hundreds of application programs in use in hundreds of sites around
>the world.  My code is scrutinized on a daily basis by thousands of end
>users, and it's perfectly clear.

Then why switch to free format at all?  Just keep using fixed format and MOVE.

>Clearer than yours, I think.  I wouldn't
>want you in my shop making my code clear when your idea of clarity is this:
>
>   x = %editc(y:'4')
>
>That is not clear to anybody who doesn't understand the edit codes of RPG as
>well as the syntax of RPG BIF calls.  They have to at the very least use a
>reference manual to identify the exact meaning of the cryptic '4'.

Whoa!

First off, %editc() is just a valid in fixed format code as with free format,
and anybody who calls themselves a RPG IV programmer who doesn't learn the BIFs
-- even if not using /free -- does not really know RPG IV.

Secondly, the '4' edit code better not be cryptic to RPG programmers or they
still have a lot to learn.  I memorized those over 20 years ago -- there is
nothing hard about them, there is a very easy pattern.  Do you mean to tell me
after all these years you still look at a reference manual to see what various
edit codes mean ???

And for the record, yes I  *do* think x = %editc(y:'4') is MORE clear than MOVE.
And not because I don't understand MOVE -- I do -- but because the expression is
self-evident without having to know or lookup the attributes of variable y.

Doug