> A LIST OF API'S AND HOW TO USE THEM. THERE A BOOK?

The IBM Infocenter is the place to get a list of APIs.
http://www.iseries.ibm.com/infocenter  The V5R2 version has an API finder
that many people have found helpful.  If you have never used APIs before,
there is a small learning curve.  Many of the iSeries magazines have carried
'how to' articles for getting started with APIs.  There may even be online
tutorials on the web sites.  Check http://www.midrange.com for some links.

An alternative might be to use the InfoCentre to find the name of an API
that you want to use, then search the archives http://archive.midrange.com
and FAQ http://faq.midrange.com for examples that people have posted.  You
can also try using Google http://www.google.com to search with the API name
and probably locate examples.

One thing to remember is that the documentation for many APIs is written so
that C programmers can understand it easily.  Barbara Morris has posted an
excellent article on converting this C style of variable declarations into
RPG.  http://www.opensource400.org/callc.html  Also, the IBM Redbook 'Who
knew you could do that with RPG?" has some good coding ideas.  Find the link
to it in the FAQ.

I hope some of this helps...
  --buck