I can't speak for anyone else, but my customers did not like this as a
solution.

Mike E.

                    "Johnson, Duane"

                    <djohnson@xxxxxxxxx       To:     "'RPG programming on the
AS400 / iSeries'"
                    .com>                      <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                    Sent by:                  cc:

                    rpg400-l-bounces@xx       Subject:     RE: AS400 to EXCEL

                    drange.com

                    05/20/2003 01:48 PM

                    Please respond to

                    RPG programming on

                    the AS400 / iSeries

  I haven't been paying a great deal of attention to this thread, so I
might
have missed a similar suggestion, or you may have already given a reason
why
this wouldn't work.  If so, please forgive me.

  Is there any reason why you can't run your information to a separate
file,
placing all your numeric fields into a character field, concatenating a
character to the beginning  - i.e. 007644 would become, for instance,
C007644.  This would prevent Excel from removing the leading zero's.  Then
you could build a macro for this particular file that, once loaded into
Excel, would remove the first character from each of the numeric fields.

  I suppose it is possible that at that point, Excel would then take it
upon
itself to remove those disgusting leading zeros, but if not, that should
work.

Duane