        From:   Dan [SMTP:dbcerpg@xxxxxxxxx]
        Sent:   Tuesday, April 22, 2003 8:31 AM
        To:     RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
        Subject:        Bowling 5-pin (was Re: %TLOOKUP)

        You don't know what yer missin' dude!

        About the only thing that's the same is that the lane has the same
dimensions as 10-pin.  The ball
        is slightly bigger than a softball (no finger holes), about 4 pounds
(IIRC), you get up to THREE
        shots per frame (all down on 1st ball is a strike, if you do it in
two balls its a spare, and if
        you need three shots it's just count).  The pin configuration ---
hmmm, think of the 1-7-10 and
        put a pin between the 1 & 7 and a pin between the 1 & 10.  The pins
are shorter and, I think,
        fatter.  Hans, do they have the big rubber bands around the belly?
I forget.  Also, I think the
        head pin, the middle pins, and the corner pins have different values
(5, 3, 2, respectively???,
        Hans?)  Scorekeeping is a little more challenging, but I suppose its
all in what you're used to.

        Beer Frame?  Think Canadian beer, eh?  (You know, where the water is
colder...  or is it
        "cleaner"?)

        Check out http://www.cvnet.net/burnstd/tech.htm

        One of the Google sites I checked claims that there are no 5-pin
alleys in the states, but I
        thought I'd heard that there were a few.  No problem for me, as I'm
close to the border.  Word of
        advice:  Don't bowl 5-pin just before your 10-pin bowling night.
(Think ball weight difference.)

        - Dan