Had a free hour or so and tried to create a simple RPG program to call a
java method. Here is the source:

     Hdftactgrp(*no) actgrp(*new)  thread(*serialize)
     DjavaTest         PR                  extpgm('JAVATEST')
     D                               10

     DjavaTest         PI
     D oldData                       10a

     Ddata             s               O   class(*JAVA:'java.lang.String')

     DtoUpper          PR              O   extproc
(*JAVA:'java.lang.String':
     D                                              'toUpperCase')
     D                                     class(*JAVA:'java.lang.String')

     DnewString        PR              O   extproc
(*JAVA:'java.lang.String':
     D                                             *CONSTRUCTOR)
     D                                     class(*JAVA:'java.lang.String')
     D                               10a

     DgetBytes         PR            10a   extproc
(*JAVA:'java.lang.String':
     D                                              'getBytes') VARYING

     DnewData          S             10

      /free
        data = newString(oldData);
        data = toUpper(data);
        newData = getBytes(data);
        dsply newData;
        *inlr = *on;
      /end-free

When trying CRTBNDRPG, I get the following error,

 Definition not found for symbol '_QRNX_JNI_FREE_OBJ'.
 Program JAVATEST not created.

Is there a binding directory or service program I should be including?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Walter
Sr. Programmer/Analyst