jrc@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have some procedures that format strings from date variables passed
> in, one for *ISO and one for *USA.  They include variables for zero
> suppress, dashes, slashes, etc.  It would be simple enough to follow
> the examples and make as many different outputs as you want.

Interesting, that would be similar to just calling the API, correct?

> If you work with actual date fields instead your calling program
> could simply send the adjusted date like so:
>
> dateString = #dateUSA( myDate + %days( numDiff ) );

The main callers for this program now are CL programs, so no date fields.

> Since you want to handle varying date types, you simply adjust myDate
> before the call... why not, since you already have all the required
> pieces in your PLIST?  I mean you already have to know the format and
> everything to be able to send it, so why bother?

That's kind of what's happening now, I have some restrictions on the format
and type of the incoming field and the outgoing field only allows one field
type and has to have separators.  In CL, I usually have to follow it with a
CvtDat command.  This is one of the big reasons I'm making this change,
it's silly to run the CvtDat afterwards when I could handle it all within
this program.

Bill