Tracy Ball wrote:
I have never heard of the FMTDTA command, however, just looked it up. What would a sample FMTDTA source look like?

:::putting on grizzled prospector's hat:::

I remember when we used to use FMTDTA back in '86 on the S/38. It was powerful stuff-- ran at such a low level it did screaming fast database merges-- comparing the contents of eight files, and creating a single extract file. But it was only good when we were using all of the records in a physical file. Any selection or indexing, and OPNQRYF was a better bet.

Of course, that was 17 years ago, and my 1 MHZ Apple IIe could still be considered "screaming fast".

Dagnab it.

I haven't seen a version of the FMTDTA manual for a long time. I think it (along with the much beloved CPF Message Guide, and others) got buried when the 400 came out. I do remember those specs were EXTREMELY fussy to code, though. Lots of trial and error. But someone wrote a command that appeared (I think) in the old "S/38 Journal" that took parms and generated the specs for you.

Of no help at all, I know.

-Doc