From: E Doc [mailto:doc6502@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 10:10 AM
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: RPG400-L Digest, Vol 2, Issue 38

My choice in IDE, for which I knew I was going to get slammed...

Jon Paris said...
>Apart from #1 (CODE is big) most of the items on your list can be performed
>by CODE.  Sorry but your list reflects more about your lack of knowledge
>about CODE than it does about anything else.

Jon, apologies prefixing insults are no apologies at all.  No need to be
defensive-- I don't care if you use COCONUTS to write code.  Whatever works
for
you.

>Things like selecting
>rectangular blocks, recording macros, etc. has been part of CODE from the
>outset.  If you prefer your tool then fine, but at least when building a
>list like this it behooves you to find out what the other tool _can_ do.

If you read the last part of my post, I said I *need to look at CODE now
that
it's part of Eclipse*.  I also need to look at UltraEdit and a few other
things.  Blah-blah, woof-woof.

TMKMAKE

>Sorry, just don't understand the need.....
>TMKMAKE utility?  Why do I need it?  I've had wonderful success with
binding
>directories and their corresponding H specs, and I just can't understand
>what problem is addressed by the make tool.  Can you elaborate?

H-specs?  Aye, there's the rub.  OK... if you're going to write RPG only,
sure.
 Use H-specs.  I don't like the notion of hardcoding linker information into
program source (hell I can barely stand #ifdef because the poor thing's so
abused), but it works.

This is OK for the average shop that's pulled it's RPG/400 codebase into ILE
RPG, and converted a dozen or so functions (message handling, date
manipulation, account number formatting, etc).  The functions referenced are
more-or-less set in stone, and that's just fine.  It's a stable business
computing environment.

Now what about the environments that aren't stable, like software product
development?  Changes are so rapid that the entire system, hundreds of
programs, thousands of modules, require nightly rebuilds?  TMKMAKE is an
ideal
tool because it can either rebuild the entire system or rebuild the portions
of
the system that have been through code change, or will be affected as the
result of code change.

There are other ILE languages that don't have H-specs either-- namely C,
C++,
and Java.  In order to do mass compiles, you have to either write lots of CL
code or make scripts.  Otherwise, you're gonna do a LOT of typing to get
everything built.

-Doc