From: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Date: Monday, February 10, 2003 12:47:02
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: /FREE RPG compiler errors

I'm utterly astonished at the amount of nonsensical talk about the woes
of free-format RPG. You don't need a background in calculus or physics,
or even a knack for pushing the envelope for transitioning from
fixed-format RPG to free-format RPG. I wonder, would these same
programmers who speak of free-format's
"Difficulty/Bugs/RidiculousMadeUpImaginedNegativeUsedAsAnExcuseRemark"
not be able to drive a Ford because it isn't a Chevy?

I've avoided this discussion for some time, but it's time to move
forward. If you can't drive the Ford, maybe you're not cut out to be a
truck driver, afterall.

Sure there are bugs in free-format RPG. There are bugs in fixed-format
RPG, too. There are bugs in every corner of the system - thousands of
them. They get fixed. And, bugs that bring trees to their knees get
fixed quickly. There are many levels of bugs. Those you hit all the
time, those that occasionally bite you, and those that you never
experience. Unless an area is coming apart at the seams, the bug
argument is pointless.

If folks spent a fraction of the time considering reasons for using
free-format RPG that they spent on "reasons" not to, it would be obvious
that free-format is the choice. And, there are many reasons for choosing
free-format, from clarity (maintainability) to function (that's where
enhancements to RPG will be found).

The following is NOT an opinion: Free-format RPG is better.

There, now that that's settled, what else should we talk about?

Gary Guthrie
Senior Technical Editor, iSeries NEWS