From: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Date: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 06:35:24 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Removing punctuation (not using arrays)

If I have this field value "RABBIT PACK, 6PC. WINE TOOL KIT", is there a
better method of removing the comma and period characters and discarding the
extra spaces created without using an array routine of reading one byte at a
time, translating the unwanted characters to "blanks" and then reloading the
field via array positions?

Can I use the %xlate and %trim %bifs to shorten this task? I don't have REXX
 so that is not an option.

Tracy L. Ball
Total Response, Inc.
Sr. Programmer/Analyst