I need to reiterate that this shop is all for moving forward to doing
things better. It's just that we really need to know how things work.
I think we’d all agree that that’s a good thing. They have a "zero
production support" agenda here in the development group; that is, once
it's in production, we don't want to have to support it. We don't want
operations to answer messages. So we make sure that it's done right
BEFORE it touches the production environment. We do code reviews and
test plans here. Wow what a breath of fresh air. BTW, we're at v4r5.

Since I originally posted, I found the "Who knew you could do that with
RPG?" redbook and am currently reading through that.  So far, I haven’t
seen the answer to the question "Why do procedures require
DFTACTGRP(*NO)?", other than because it just does, that’s why.

Now I see that several experts have chimed in as I read through "Who
knew"...

(I think I should have left out the "subprocedure vs. subroutine"
question.  If I can get past the AG question, I think I can get the
group to jump on subprocedures bandwagon.)

Buck: OMIGOSH, and HOLYCOW, jeez, I followed your suggestions to check
your archive links, you really got things going with the "Activation
groups for beginners" thread last March.  I had to stop after reading
about 70 posts, with about 25 more to go, my head started hurting.
Specific answers to your responses:  There are NO "overrides in AG"
issues with my subprocedures.  Our use of modules:  We CRTRPGMOD
several source members, then CRTPGM; the standard is a "primary" module
calls the other modules.  My take on the performance issue is like
yours, and I will use Barbara’s quote.

Jon:  Please, no lengthy debates! <g>
> you must be compiling with CRTRPGMOD - CRTRPGMOD is
> implicitly specifying DFTACTGRP(*NO).
O.k., I looked at this.  CRTRPGMOD has no AG parameter, which seems
logical (can't call a module).  CRTPGM does force you to specify an AG,
and the default is ACTGRP(*NEW).  Therefore, if I interpret this and
your statement correctly, any program created with CRTPGM must be using
a *NEW, *CALLER, or a named AG.  If so, I believe I have my answer for
my project manager.
(Jon: Why do your replies never have "Re:" in the subject line?)

Bob:  Truly, no witch burning here, just a need for understanding "new"
technology before using it.

Gary (on service programs):  This is where I eventually want to go with
this, but I had to take baby steps first.

Thanks to all who have offered invaluable advice.  The research
"budget" for this issue is small (like 2 hours or whatever free time I
may have).  I know AGs require much more study and practice to truly
understand them than I currently have time for, but I think Jon's
answer may suffice for the type of subprocedure usage we have here.

- Dan