Mark wrote:

>I would like to know how to do an SQL update or
>delete with a subselect. What I have is a file
>that is keyed on social security that contains
>information about employees vacation. I need to
>change some records in the file for a specific
>company so I'd need to join to the employee master
>by social security and select based on company number.

I like to think of these things from the inside-out.  Traditional RPG-think
has me reading a vacation record, then CHAINing to the master record to
check the company.  From the inside-out, I would create a list of valid
companies, then a list of masters in the company list, and then a list of
vacations that are in the list of masters that are in the list of companies.

update vacation set hours=80 where SSN in
  (select SSN from master where company in (1, 5, 18))

Before I do this though, I prefer to do a select:
select employee,name,hours from vacation where SSN in
  (select SSN from master where company in (1, 5, 18))

  --buck