>I want MESSAGE field to be populated with "Excluded
>Time Exceeds Hours: 12".
>Only "Excluded Time Exceeds Hours:" is populating
>the MESSAGE field. Can anyone see why this line
>of code will not work?
>
> D ARMSG01         S             78    DIM(6) CTDATA PERRCD(1)
>
> C                   EVAL      MESSAGE = ARMSG01(6) + ' ' +
>                                         %CHAR(TOTALHOURS)
>
>** ARMSG01
>You Must Enter a Valid Service Center
>You Have Entered an Invalid Service Center
>You Must Enter a Valid Date
>You Have Entered an Invalid Date
>You Must Use .00, .25, .50, or .75 -> Example: 1.50 NOT
>Excluded Time Exceeds Hours:

In the spirit of helping to teach some debugging skills, especially for the
archives, get out a bit of scrap paper.  Presuming that MESSAGE is something
like 78 characters long, put 78 underscores on the page to represent each
available character in MESSAGE.  Now perform the EVAL statement:

Write one character from ARMSG01 into each space on the paper.  Don't forget
the blanks, there are 78 characters worth of ARMSG01 you are moving.

Now move one column to the right and write a space in column 79 of MESSAGE

Now convert TOTALHOURS to character; let's pretend it becomes "40.00".  Now
write those five characters in columns 80-84 of MESSAGE.

Oops!  Ran out of columns to write into?  So did the compiler.  You probably
want to trim the blanks off the end of the array before you concatenate the
hours.
  --buck