If I recall correctly, pointers in OS/400 have special tag bits in memory
which are only set if they're manipulated using the MI or W-Code
operations designed for working with pointers.

If the CL program defines it as a character variable, those bits would not
be set correctly, and the system would refuse to treat it as a pointer.

You could, of course, write the program and then use STRSST to edit the
compiled machine code so that it treated these bits correctly, but that
would require a very low-level knowledge of the system, plus you'd have
to do it EVERY time you recompiled the program.

Really, you're MUCH MUCH better off using a language that's capable of
working with pointers.

And since this is the RPG list, I'll recommend RPG :)