These examples that have hardcoded positions in the data structure for
the system value information suffer from integrity problems. If the
lengths of anything aren't coded exactly correct or if anything changes
in length or IBM adds something new to the returned structure for future
enhancements, these samples will fail to return the correct information.

You can test this by simply changing the length of the receiver variable
and running these samples. For example, change the following line:

     d USRLIBLDS       ds                  inz

     d USRLIBLDS       ds                  2000
     d                                     inz

and see what happens.

Any time you see an offset listed in a structure that points to another
data item or another structure from which you wish to extract
information, you must use the offset to locate the information.

If you subscribe to the iSeries Network Club Tech Programming Tips
Newsletter (e-mailed weekly), yesterday's issue had a service program
for retrieving system values. The newsletter is free and you can sign up
at:

http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/clubtech/subscribe.cfm

If you're not a member of the iSeries Network (need this to subscribe to
newsletter), you can join at the same URL. Like the newsletter,
associate membership to the network is free, also.

Gary Guthrie
Editor, iSeries Network Club Tech Programming Tips Newsletter