Sheesh Bill, sooner you then me with this one :-)

All I can tell you is that if there are "changed" records on the subfile
a Z-ADD 1 to the RRN and a READC will read the first changed record.

You are correct in two of your observations:- Hell it just works and the
do loops with chains to
subfile, and mult loops through subfile to check things is is for the
birds.

Have a good one

Paul