Frank, Visual Age RPG is an IBM product.  It is included on the same CDs as
your current RPG tools.  It is client/server, from very thick to very thin
depending on how you choose to deploy it.  The sorting of the subfile
columns is done on the PC (client).  The code do do the sort is:

     C                   eval      SortColInv = %ColNumber
     C                   eval      %setatr('WinInv':'SFInv':'SortDesc')=
     C                               SortColInv

('SortAsc' is the word for ascending)

This is the RPG list.  This code is in RPG.  I chose to stretch the limits
of the newsgroup's topic and mention this choice and to respond with this
actual example for two reasons:

One reason is that this product works, you've bought and paid for it, and it
s available right now.
The second reason is that for us RPG programmers this product is easy to
learn.  We can provide our users with useful point & click stuff quicker and
easier than we can figure out basing pointers, free form, procedures, xml,
and all the fancy stuff the list gurus talk about here.  The future may be
Java, but after 7 years of waiting maybe its time to go with a here & now
product?

Booth Martin   http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@MartinVT.com