> From: Scott Mildenberger
>
> Can all the files be put into the module with the procedure?
> This way, only
> the procedure would need to open them and it could use %open to
> determine if
> it was necessary.

Scott, I've fixed the problem by separating out the "subprogram" interface
and the "procedure" interface.  This required basically removing all the
code from the subprogram and putting it in a procedure, and then leaving
only the *ENTRY PLIST and a call to the new procedure in the subprogram.
This works, but I don't understand why I had to do it this way.

> Also, if a subprocedure will be used in more than one place it
> really should
> be put into a service program.  This is something I believe you
> will want to
> start doing from the beginning as it simplifies maintenance a great deal.

I understand the pros and cons of service programs, and I'll get there.  But
I want to understand all the ramifications of bound calls in detail before I
make the next move.

Baby steps work best for this programmer, Scott <smile>.  I don't like black
magic, and so I do a little bit at a time.  But even this little bit I've
done as begun to pay some dividends.  I've removed over 200 lines of code
just doing this simple replacement.  And it's more readable to boot.

Joe