The answer, of course, is "it depends".  Assuming the record you wish to
update already exists in the subfile, then two popular alternatives are:

1.  Allow the user to update the record using an option field.  Selecting
the option will present a second screen with the updatable fields and the
values when the option was selected.  Some favor locking the record until
the user is finished and others favor waiting until the user presses a key
to indicate the record should be updated.  I favor the latter approach since
many users, myself included, will accidentally leave that record on the
screen and go to lunch or a meeting.

2.  Allow ther user to update the record by typing over the values loaded
into the subfile.  When a key indicating the update should happen is
pressed, update the record, or records, on which data has been changed.
Some favor comparing the values loaded into the subfile with the current
values, displaying an error message if they are different, and refreshing
the subfile with the current values.

Donald R. Fisher, III
Project Manager
The Roomstore Furniture Company
(804) 784-7600 extension 2124
DFisher@roomstoreeast.com

<clip>
I want to update records in subfile which is having thousands
records(lessthan 10k)..(reading this records is done in single
page)...please suggest me which subfile is good
(loadall/expand/single page)to update and at the same time i
should lock the records without giving chance to others to
update...how can i lock the records?
<clip>