I will be out of the country until Monday, October 21, 2002.

Please feel free to contact Joe Blanchette at 800-562-9777.

Your message reads:

From: "Steve Richter" <srichter@autocoder.com>
To: <rpg400-l@midrange.com>
Subject: RE: timings II. const varying vs value varying
Sender: rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:46:07 -0400

I agree Scott.

To return a varying lgth string the called func could ALLOC the bytes needed
and then return a pointer to the allocated varying string data.

 pGetString          b
 dGetString          pi           *
 d pString           s            *
 d String            s         80 a  based( pString ) varying
 c                 eval      pString = %alloc( %size(String))
 c                 eval      String = 'some text to return'
 c                 return    pString
 p                   e

Only problem is insuring the returned pointer is %DEALLOC'd.

now if a DS could have a constructor, destructor and operator member
functions .... :)

Steve Richter