Buck Calabro wrote:
> That's one reason I think the *PRV support simply calls the previous version
> compiler.  Another reason is probably the 'if tree' they'd have to build
> around every BIF, opcode and function in order to call the proper interface
> for the proper target release.  eeeeeeeeeeee.

eeeeeeeeeeee indeed.  The very thought makes me carsick.

The *PRV compilers are built using the compiler source from the previous
release.  That way, the *PRV object is guaranteed to run on the previous
release (with respect to the RPG runtime that is - it's still possible
to code a call to some API that is only in the current release).

Here's how it was explained to me when I first heard about *PRV
compilers, and I think it still holds: the most important aspect of the
*PRV compiler is that any code that compiles with the *PRV compiler must
compile on the actual TGTRLS system.  Otherwise, if vendors developed
code on an N machine and sent objects and source to their customers on
N-1 systems, the vendors would be unable to verify that their customers
would actually be able to compile the source.