I tinkered with this and got this to work.

pgm parm(&arg)
dcl var(&arg) type(*char) Len(10)
dcl var(&inch) type(*char) len(1) value('"')
dcl var(&qryslt) type(*Char) len(100)

chgvar var(&qryslt) +
 value('(itdsc *ct ''' *tcat &arg *tcat &inch *bcat ''')')
ovrdbf file(itemasa) share(*yes)
opnqryf file(itemasa) +
 qryslt(&qryslt)
cpyfrmqryf fromopnid(itemasa) tofile(*PRINT)
rclrsc
endpgm

Notice that the closing quotes in the query select paramaters are 3 singles
(''') not a double and single ("').

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Walter